Monday 9 April 2012

Spotlight on: 10:10


I first learnt about 10:10 through my job, as the company which I work for has been signed up for the last few years.​ The 10:10 campaign was set up back in 2009, with one simple aim: reduce UK carbon emissions by 10% by the end of 2010. Due to its huge success and popularity 10:10 has continued, and now has over 115,000 participants in 186 countries. Today 10:10 inspires and supports people and organisations to cut their carbon emissions by 10% in every year. Any individual, family, business or organisation can make these cuts, with the philosophy being that, by working together, a real difference can be made. Whether the aim is to help tackle climate change or just to get the bills down to size, it is clear that cutting carbon emissions makes perfect sense. 


10:10 is such a brilliant yet simple idea that it didn't take me long to sign up, and since then I have been doing my best to cut my carbon emissions by 10%. A few simple steps I have taken include: 



  • Replacing all the old light bulbs in the house with energy saving models (and trying to remember to turn them off when I leave the room!)
  • Recycling - I am taking full advantage of the recycling services put on by my local council and I am also attempting to buy food which has less packaging
  • Buying local produce - I am lucky enough to have a garden centre opposite my house which stocks an amazing variety of local goods, from eggs to bread to local beer. If my purse is on the thin side however, and the super stores beckon, I try to buy items which haven't travelled half the way around the world..
  • Making less journeys by car - I have recently become the proud owner of a new bike meaning that those little journeys I used to make by car can now be done by pedal power instead; better for me and better for the environment!



  • The 10:10 website itself is very informative, and you can sign up to receive regular emails giving ideas of how to cut your emissions. April is Remade month, where 10:10ers around the world share the skills and build the confidence to fix their clothes, bikes, computers and anything else that we can keep alive with a few basic repairs. The idea being that if we can keep things going on for longer, then less energy will be used to make newer versions.


    To find out more about 10:10, to sign you or your business up or to find out about Remade month visit: www.1010global.org/uk 


    Go on....you know it makes sense :)


    tp x





    No comments:

    Post a Comment